Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Vegetable Garden


I ordered my seeds today. Its a daunting task because there are so many great varieties out there. Tomatoes and cucumbers are fantastic out of the garden. I grow Lemon cucumbers every year. They are small yellow and very sweet. You could eat them right out of the garden like an apple... and I do. Tomatoes I struggle with choosing.

Last year I didn't get seeds but relied on a family member who starts seeds. I was able to harvest one or two before the frost. Not a good year. Now it was cold but it turned out that there was another reason for the lack of proliferation. He confessed much later to starting seeds from store bought plants. The plants were from genetically modified seeds as they are now producing genetically modified plants that will produce seed that doesn't amount to much.

Is anyone's alarm going off? Mine is loud and clear! Genetically modified food or GMOs as people like to call them (we do love our acronyms don't we?) are now unmarked and sold in our grocery stores and we are blindly buying and feeding our families. This is beyond scary and the fact that Steven Harper is singing at a piano is getting more press time than our food crisis makes me very concerned for the future of the human race.

So let me tell you what is going in the mundcooks garden. Heirloom varieties of organically grown seeds, no sprays, no chemicals of any kind and my kitchen compost. We need to fight the GMOs in the stores and stop blindly buying whatever large corporations are feeding us.

Take charge, our future depends on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment