Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Chocolate is






I used to make chocolates every day. Tempering chocolate was a time consuming process and preparing ganaches was always lots of fun. Infusing teas with the cream, making lemon buttercream to fill those white chocolate confections. It is both creative and rewarding.


Baking with chocolate is an entirely different method. Instead of tempering chocolate, the decision lies with using cocoa powder versus melting chocolate. I like to use both. Nothing beats the mouth feel of melted chocolate baked goods. You can add as much fat as you like to a cocoa powder recipe but it lacks the depth of flavour you get from melting chocolate and folding it into your batter. When choosing the right chocolate for your recipe consider what you are attempting to achieve. If I was baking for grown ups I would never consider anything less than 70% cocoa. I keep 53% in the cupboard if I get an order for a child's birthday cake. I only use Valrona cocoa powder and would never consider anything else. It is far superior to anything else out there. 100% Dutch process cocoa.


http://www.valrhona.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment