Saturday, January 23, 2010

Keeping it Local


Its a tough thing this time of year. Local produce is still available but hard to find. I trekked to the grocery store this week to get our weekly groceries & found with great dismay that there were few choices. The last of my garden tomatoes that I roasted and froze are nearly done, my herbs are dwindling fast and now walking through the produce area feels like walking through a mind field of weary distant travellers wilted and tired.

Don't get me wrong. We have great cheese such as Wooldrift farms , fantastic honey such as Wildwood Farm Honey and great places that support the local food industry such as myself and Foodlink. I make a point of purchasing local if its available but this time of year it is difficult to get fresh produce that is at the very least coming from countries that support safe farming practices. We do have the ability to vote with our spending. Support the grocery stores that support local. Buy from countries that don't use toxic pesticides on their crops , support local farms that grow organically and start your own vegetable garden.

There are still great choices we just need to make them!

No comments:

Post a Comment